Monday, July 16, 2007

In the Beginning

In November I made the decision to get locs I didn’t know what kind what type or anything. All I knew was that I wanted them and I was going to do it myself. I have always done my own hair with the exception of the occasional perm, when I had the time to sit in a salon and the extra money to treat myself (or so I thought). So when I did my research on locs I wanted to find something that I could do my self. I looked into comb coils, but you couldn’t wash them as much as you would like, I looked into natural locs but I didn’t like that b/c I wanted a manicured look. I came across Sisterlocks I loved the manicured look, I love the fact that they were thin and could be washed to same day you got them installed if you wanted to, but off the bat I didn’t want them b/c it was something that I could not do myself. As I search I transitioned with doing kinky twist, which I learned to do myself. I was going to keep them in until I had about 6 inches of natural hair to work with but after keeping them in for 3 months I took them out.I looked and looked and kept looking and no matter what avenue I went down I kept coming back to SL. I finally decided that the only way that I will be able to get the look I wanted I had to get SL. So I began my search of what I needed to do to learn how to do SL. I went the website and saw that they offer training classed and there was one that was being held in Atlanta which is 350 miles from me plus that’s where I was from. So I looked and the price of the class and almost lost my eyesight, but I was determined to get the money to learn how to do it. Needless to say by time that class was being held in Atlanta I didn’t have the money saved. So I then I was at a lost. I didn’t want to pay anyone to do my hair when I could just learn how to. So I got depressed for a while. I knew I didn’t ever want to perm my hair I just didn’t know what to do. I didn’t want to wait a year or more until the class was offered again in Atlanta so I just had to get it in my head that I will find a consultant and pay her to do my hair. Back to the SL website I go. I search consultant name in my area which is Savannah, Ga. and Jacksonville, FL. There was no one in Jacksonville and closes one was in Fort Lauderdale which is about 300 miles from me which was out of the question. If I was going to drive that I might as well go home and get them done. So I looked for one in Savannah. I called the number that was posted on the website but the person that answered the phone acted like they didn’t know what I was talking about. I didn’t want to drive all the way up to ATL just to get my hair done b/c when I do go home I spend that time with my mom and visiting family. I didn’t want to spend that time getting my hair done. So I looked over at the trainee list. I found some closer to my area. Brunswick Ga., and Fernandina Beach, FL. The trainee that is in Brunswick sounded highly HIGHLY unprofessional. The trainee that is in Fernandina her number was disconnected. At this time I thinking Oh my goodness why cant this just be easy for me? Am I not suppose to get SL in my head or what. I finally got a number of a consultant, which lives in Jacksonville, Fl. I got her number from one of the ladies that belongs to a yahoo group that I am in. After I got the number I then did some thinking, should I or shouldn’t I cut my hair. I had about 7-8 inches of permed hair. I knew that SL could be start with permed end but my hair in some spots was broken off all the way to my natural hair. Plus I was thinking I wanted to get rid of the old Saabira the Saabira that thought long straight hair was beautiful. That the only way I could be beautiful was to continue to kill my hair, and add weave all down my back.So I kept telling myself I will cut my hair. Im going to cut my hair and I will not regret it. After going back and fourth with myself I came home from work one day. Took a shower, washed my hair and just cut a patch before I could even think twice. By doing this I had to cut it all and I knew if I didn’t just do I would never do it. I wont even lie I wanted to cry after I cut my hair I thought I looked like my brother. I hated I didn’t even want to go to work the next day. When I went to work I wore a scarf over my head and did that for the next two days. I even went to the local beauty supply store and bought a wig. When I put the wig on my head I wanted to cry again b/c I knew I could not go forever wearing a wig on my head. I read several blogs and found the strength in me and knew what India Arie was saying when she wrote that song “I am not my hair.”



After Im comfortable with my TWA I made the appointment to get my test locs installed. I was so excited I could not wait for the two weeks to go by to get my whole head done. I found myself dreaming about how good my head would look once I got it done. Finally the day came for me to get them installed. July 13-14……….. 21 hours 45 mins, a numb butt, sore neck, back, and shoulders later, my babies where born.

5 comments:

Cashana said...

Welcome to the family!

blackrussian said...

I found you 'cause dstdiva had tagged you.

You looked so cute girl with the twa. It takes a lot of courage to do the bc, but I understand how sometimes we have to force ourselves to do things - make a big change where there's no turning back!

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is dante and i have enjoyed reading about your hair and where it has taken you.I live in jacksonville fl and wonted to know if you still have the lady number who did your hair.And can you tell me how much she charged you to put them in and how much for the retwist.can you please please email me at s_13240sx@yahoo.com

D.W. said...

Hi! I've been trying to find an affordable consultant in the Jacksonville area and wanted to know if you still had the consultants number, if so could you send it to me on YouTube (YaNeechie)...also love the youtube video!

D.W. said...

Hi! I've been trying to find an affordable consultant in the Jacksonville area and wanted to know if you still had the consultants number, if so could you send it to me on YouTube (YaNeechie)...also love the youtube video!